General Home Inspection
PGR Home Inspections takes an investigative approach to our general home inspections. I follow the InterNACHI Standards of Practice, inspecting all visible and readily accessible areas of the home. Safety is always number one, but I will attempt to inspect even the most difficult spaces to uncover any issues that may be hiding. Unlike MANY inspectors, as long as the roof is reachable and safe to get on, I will walk every roof I can. Lets be honest and realistic, you can not find every defect by viewing the roof from the ground with binoculars or from a camera attached to a drone. I will also enter every accessible crawlspace and make every attempt to inspect the structural components of your foundation up close and personal. Many defects are hidden from view down in the crawlspace and you need an inspector willing to spend the necessary time and effort to try and expose those defects!
Using the modern home inspection software Spectora, you will be provided with a thorough, detailed report no later than 24 hours after the inspection. The report will include high quality color photos depicting the good and the bad (hopefully minor) found throughout the home.
As the buyer, you are highly encouraged to attend the inspection, especially if you are a first time home-buyer. I want this to be an enjoyable process for you and get you involved in the inspection to further expand your knowledge of not only building science, but your future home!
Below is a list of the standard areas of the home that are inspected during a General Home Inspection.
- Roofing system, chimney included
- ALL of the roof penetrations (plumbing vents, attic vents, etc)
- Gutters and downspouts
- Grading and drainage
- Driveways, sidewalks and patios
- Garage doors
- ALL Siding, visible flashing, trim and soffits
- Windows and doors
- Attic, insulation and ventilation
- HVAC system
- Plumbing system
- Sump Pump if present
- Electrical system
- Fireplace, damper, flue if visible and hearth
- Floors, ceilings and walls
- Foundation and down on my hand and knees in the crawlspace
A Smooth Inspection Includes
- Verification that all utilities are on including water, electrical and gas
- Confirming that the crawlspace is accessible (if applicable) and that all habitable areas are accessible. This includes sufficient access to the attic hatch, electrical panel, water heater and HVAC system.
- Forthcoming of any known issues with the house and/ or any of its components or systems.